No more “Wine-ing” About Chargebacks — NoFraud Helps Leading Online Wine Seller Beat $40,000 yearly in Credit Card Fraud

Cs icon1 17bd70a292692d7140c1de71f885b33527906c6c96b27f40012bdc3fd9df5130

2% Approval rate increase

Cs icon2 fa37ced9eec41738736c8c4706428a9e1fd7e50167b16c136eb455dd9a819453

$20K annual overhead savings

Cs icon3 74f3757e32121aaa10ccf5fda4c1cdf91f3c725caf31a01e2329e5058fa87bfc

$40K in annual chargebacks eliminated

Cs wine chateau company 291c288c7cfd5d2778a4907f6c45e6f3968e7d19d6135e6b297ee939a0a5c737

The Company

Wine Chateau is one of the longest-operating online wine retailers, offering a vast selection of over 17,000 premium domestic and imported wines from around the world. Though it began 40 years ago as a brick and mortar store, and continues to operate three retail wine stores in New Jersey, Wine Chateau’s largest source of revenue is its online store, www.winechateau.com , making credit card fraud prevention a critical aspect of their daily operations.

The Challenge

In 2016, Wine Chateau knew its current fraud prevention solution had room for improvement. Employing a combination of automated gateway filters and manual screenings, Wine Chateau’s fraud prevention system was inefficient and costly. The basic gateway filters they enabled automatically declined 3 percent of their transactions, and their manual review process declined an additional 0.5 percent of orders, resulting in an overall order decline rate of 3.5 percent. Many legitimate orders were cancelled, resulting in upset customers and increased customer service inquiries. Making matters worse, their manual review process frequently delayed shipments, especially during busy seasons or when the company was short-staffed, and cost Wine Chateau $20,000 in annual overhead to maintain.

Despite their best efforts, Wine Chateau’s gateway filters and manual review process failed to provide the level of security that the company needed to fight fraud. In the year before implementing NoFraud, Wine Chateau incurred over $40,000 in chargebacks. They knew there had to be a better way.

The Solution

When Wine Chateau replatformed their site to Shopify, they researched the various fraud prevention options available to them. Ultimately, they decided on NoFraud, specifically because of their thorough and highly effective review process. One of Wine Chateau’s biggest challenges was the declining of legitimate orders, and they were attracted to NoFraud’s process of validating high-risk orders without necessitating Wine Chateau to provide proof of the orders’ validity.

Integrating NoFraud took less than 10 minutes. After the client downloaded the app from the Shopify app store, NoFraud’s intelligent review system immediately got to work, accurately identifying actual fraudulent transactions.

The Results

Since beginning to use NoFraud, Wine Chateau has:

Cs wine chateau results1 84be8150bf01b16ac4657833d7194bcb5042ed1283cf29ccacb9964adf6f437c

Recovered an estimated $40,000 in lost revenue per year previously lost to chargebacks

Cs wine chateau results2 5b35970e1c7b728966ed8a1d89c2d7ff42187ec05f99d5cd4134180175047434

Reduced overhead costs by $20,000 annually

Cs wine chateau results4 235f7b38af2a5e5d909deff3cd315b5d9d7d92eaa9159e934fd838f324710a44

Boosted the approval rate by 2% for legitimate online transactions

Cs wine chateau results5 b2ea1bf612ef8a7f67df7fd9c3f8f66813de5e93178243c886ae7469b69c5bae

Eliminated stressful bottlenecks and shipment delays due to manual review, leading to higher customer satisfaction.

What’s more, the manpower that was previously needed to conduct manual screenings has been redeployed to tasks that add revenue to the company. And, as for any remaining chargebacks that managed to pass through NoFraud’s system, NoFraud reimbursed them under their Chargeback Protection Guarantee.

"Hiring NoFraud has vastly improved our business operations, not only by significantly reducing chargebacks and false positives, but by turning our clunky and inefficient fraud prevention protocol into a simple pass-fail decision that saves us loads of time and stress...If you’re plagued by fraud, there IS a better way—get NoFraud on your team now!“

Cs wine chateau author 5c726da90a7356ea0167bee7ced16b648fab1ec3693d0abb91aefec5003c1690

Sourabh Abrol CEO, Wine Chateau